Saturday, July 17, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Wrap

My lunch of a Buffalo Chicken wrap (WITH Blue Cheese Sauce), steamed vegetables, and a side spinach salad (WITH dressing) is a total of 280 - 300 calories! Have I ever mentioned that I LOVE BUFFALO WINGS!

Things I've typically eaten in the past for lunch:

  • McDonald's Cheeseburger (I'd get the happy meal with diet coke, apples if I was being good)
    300 - 330 calories / 12g fat (6g saturated) / 750 mg of sodium
  • Starbuck's Small Double Chocolate Chip Frappacino (no whip - not necc. for lunch, but as a 3:00 pick me up):
    300 calories / 6g fat / (2.5 sat) / 230 mg sodium
  • Subway 6inch Turkey on White with Cheese (no mayonnaise light or otherwise):
    320 calories / 8.5 fat (3.5 sat) / 930 mg sodium

Wow, what a difference cooking at home maks. How did I get so much food? It's all about PORTION CONTROL.

  • 3 - 4 oz chicken with sauce
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1 tb Newman's Light Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
  • 2/3 Cup Bird's Eye Steamfresh Asian Medley
  • 1 tb Blue Cheese Mixture

  • One La Tortilla Factory Hand Made Style Corn Tortilla (it really DOES taste like my grandma's homemade tortillla)

The Stats: 280 calories / 6.5 fat / 1248mg sodium (I blame the hot sauce) / 20g carbs / 3g sugar / 2.3g fiber / 34g protein

Albeit, it is high in sodium, you get ALL OF THAT FOOD for around 300 calories. You could still add some tortilla chips AND an Edy's No Sugar Added Fruit Bar (so good) and be under 500 calories.

The best part is, I bought the chicken tenderloins on sale, so the grand total for this meal was $13.00 (I already had all of the seasonings, hot sauce, and vinegar). That is less that $2.75 a meal with less than 20 minutes preparation time.


I've seen this recipe a couple of times, but seriously doubted it could fix my buffalo wing cravings. I stand corrected. Enjoy!

BUFFALO CHICKEN WRAP

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce, such as Frank's RedHot
3 tablespoons white vinegar, divided
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound chicken tenders
2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
1 cup sliced celery
1 large tomato, diced

DIRECTIONS
1. Whisk hot pepper sauce, 2 tablespoons vinegar in a medium bowl.
2. Season chicken with celery seed and crushed red peppers
3. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat (I used the foreman grill and sprayed olive oil on it). Add chicken tenders; cook until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add to the bowl with the hot sauce; toss to coat well.
4. Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, pepper and the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar in a small bowl. Stir in blue cheese.
5. To assemble wraps: Lay a tortilla on a work surface or plate. Spread with 1 tablespoon blue cheese sauce and top with one-fifth of the chicken.
6. Drizzle with some of the hot sauce remaining in the bowl and roll into a wrap sandwich.

(The original recipe called for celery and tomato, but I didn't want to buy celery for one thing, so that's I used celery seeds. It also called for lettuce, but I love baby spinach.)

No comments: